Improving WiFi Speed and Range
How to improve or optimize your WiFi connection? Regardless of whether how older your router seems to be, these tips and tricks work for everybody. Here is a list of worlds best long range WiFi antenna which can be used to increase WiFi Speed and Range.
High Gain WiFi Antennas / Long Range WiFi Antenna
The first thing you want to try is to adjust your antennas or possibly buy an external WiFi antenna or a high gain WiFi antennas. Now by just saying your antennas, your mileage may vary. If your antennas are pointing vertically the WiFi signal is going to go out more horizontally. If your WiFi antennas are pointing horizontally the penetration is gonna go upwards and downwards.
If that doesn’t work which most likely won’t for most people the other option is to buy an external WiFi antenna. I recommend looking at a high gain WiFi antenna or a Long Range WiFi antenna that will give you high speed internet connectivity. This works only if you can actually unscrew the current antennas that are attached to your router right now. High gain WiFi antennas / Long range WiFi antennas are a lot more potent and will allow you to push the signal further, which will give you very high speed WiFi and internet connection over a wide range. This will help you increase the WiFi range.
Best Long Range WiFi Antennas / High Gain WiFi Antennas
Indoor WiFi Antennas
- Includes:2 x High Gain 9dBi 2.4GHz Wireless WiFi Antenna and 2 x21cm U.FL/IPEX to RP-SMA Female Pigtail Cable
- Widely used for wireless transmitter&wireless receiver,such as AP,WLAN,Wifi Router,Wifi Adapter
- This kit allows you to add a high gain external antenna to many wireless routers that normally support non-removable antennas
- 90 degree tilt and 360 degree swivel on antennas
- Compatible with Wifi and Bluetooth signals
- Frequency Range: 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz
- Gain: 8 dBi @ 2.4GHz 10dBi @ 5GHz
- Connector: RP-SMA Plug (Male)
- Dimension: 167.3 x 66 x 18mm – V.S.W.R: 2.0:1 Max
- Also Works For 3DR Solo Drone, DJI Phantom 3 Drone, Yuneec Typhoon H ST16 controller,
- ANTENNA SPECIFICATIONS – This 6dBi wifi extention antenna is with 2.4GHz and 5GHz dual band.
- CONNECTOR TYPE – Dual RP-SMA male connector
- CABLE LENGTH- Our high gain omni-directional antenna has a magnetic base and a fixed 3.9ft cable and an extra detachable 3.28ft cable, the total length 220cm/7.18ft, you can combine the length according to your need
- MAGNETIC BASE- Coming with a strong magnetic base, easy to install and remove. Base size: 8cm/3.15” x 7.5cm/2.95
- COMPATIBLE WITH – This dual wifi antenna works with most wireless devices, such as Mini PCIe Wireless Card Routers / Repeater / Range Extender / Desktop / PC / Mini ITX Build / PCI Card / FPV UAV Drone / PS4 Build
- Up to 2X gain than standard antennas for stronger for greater coverage and signal strength than standard antennas
- Dual bands deliver up to 4 dBi (2.4GHz) + 7 dBi (5 GHz) per antenna for up to 2x the antenna gain on the 5 GHz band and 1.5x the average antenna gain on the 2.4 GHz band compared to standard antennas
- Omni-directional design strengthens the Wi-Fi signal and then transmits it in all directions in a horizontal plane, while optimizing mobile device connectivity
- Easy-to-install, these high-gain antennas are compatible with routers featuring an RP-SMA connection
- This wifi magnetic antenna is a dual-antenna RP-SMA port with an external 2.4 / 5Ghz magnet base, fixed to the window, or hung on the wall for flexible and convenient mobile installation.
- Extremely easy installation, simply screw it on to your device tightly and it runs, no need any drivers.
- The extension cable is 3 meters, so you can put it where you want it.
- This 2.4Ghz 5Ghz 5.8Ghz magnetic mount antenna is used in wireless network adapter cards, routers, and modems.
- Ideal for replacement of damaged / lost standard antennas. Package: 1 x Magnetic antenna
- This Antenna is original Alfa brand – the most trusted nome in network range
- Fits all routers access points VOIP devices and PCI cards with an RP-SMA connection
- Replaces Factory Standard Antenna and Boosts the Range of your Router as much as 4x
- Up to 145% Performance and 150% Distance increase (depends on specific installation situation)
- Also Works For 3DR Solo Drone, DJI Phantom 3 Drone, Yuneec Typhoon H ST16 controller,
Outdoor WiFi Antenna
- Long Distance WiFi Antenna extends WiFi signal to distant areas
- Ideal outdoor WiFi Extender; Great for Offices, Stores, Warehouses, Restaurants, and other places.
- Connected to your router by cable with a RP-SMA type connector.
- Heavy duty, weatherproof design.
- Boosts WiFi signal to distant security cameras
- 2400-2483 MHz
- 17 dBi Yagi Antenna
- The 2.4Ghz Outdoor Yagi Antenna offers Vertical and Horizontal Beam width.
- Directional Yagi Antenna comes with a N-Female connector.
- EXTENDS YOUR WIFI CONNECTION: Instantly increases the speed, quality and performance of your Wi-Fi connection. 2.4Ghz wifi antenna extends a 7 degree wide cone, allowing it to perform over large distances up to 8 miles of range.
- OUTDOOR ANTENNA (COAXIAL CABLES REQUIRED): This wifi extender antenna is a signal booster ideal for outdoor placement outside any home, office or RV. Grid design helps it perform, even during high winds. Transmits & Receives far away signals.
- TEST CHAMBER CERTIFIED: You will receive a high quality, high performance wifi extender, quality tested before you receive it. This Ultra Long Range Wifi Extender antenna is made in USA and carefully tested in our signal chamber.
- EFFECTIVE WI-FI BOOSTER: Due to the directional signal radiation pattern & extremely long narrow beam, this wifi extender antenna focuses the reception/transmission of your WiFi device in a 7 degree cone, allowing it to reach longer distances faster.
- COMPATIBLE AND EASY TO SET-UP: Detailed Step-By-Step Pictorial Instructions on how to set-up the Ultra Long Range Wifi Extender antenna. Features an N-Female Connector which fits common cable assemblies. Features easy U-bolt system for pole mount.
The second thing I want taken into consideration is the actual software or firmware. Let’s install the router sometimes routers get shipped out with firmware that’s kind of glitchy and then a few weeks later or a few months later they release new firmware to update those glitches. Sometimes those glitches cause Wi-Fi problems. So the best thing to do is log on to your router using your bid username and password, which I hope you change when you first got your router, check the status or the about page of the actual router itself to see what version of firmware that your router is currently using. Then visit the manufacturers website to find out what the latest version of firmware is for your router. Download, install and see if that solves your problem.
Changing WiFi Channel
The third thing you could do is change the channel for your router or your access point. Now the way your signals travel across an open areas through frequencies. Most routers support two different frequencies – the 2.4 gigahertz frequency and the 5.0 gigahertz frequency. If you’re using an older router that most likely it only supports 2.4 and that’s usually common with 802.11 B and G. Now, if you’re using a newer router that supports 802.11 n or AC then you’re gonna have backwards capabilities to support 2.4 and be able to use the newer frequency of 5.0. This is for the people who are using an older router.
Placing the Router
The fourth thing we need to consider is a router placement. A router broadcast signals in every single direction. So imagine like a globe or sphere surrounding that router. If you’re inside that area, you’re actually going to receive a WiFi signal; if you’re not you’re not going to receive. So the best place to place that router is somewhere in the middle of the house and if you really could hang it from the ceiling.
The next best option would be place it on a desk or wall-mounted on the side of a wall. Just make sure that wall is not load-bearing. Also avoid putting the router on the floor inside a cupboard or an enclosed area. Think of the router as a plant, it needs sunlight, it has to breath.
Avoid placing the router beside materials that contain stone concrete or bricks as these types of materials don’t allow Wi-Fi signals to penetrate them too well.
How Long Range WiFi Antennas Work?
The WiFi Antenna Wire
Consider a normal power cable. Notice that the lines are parallel to each other. Now imagine a High Gain Antenna coaxial cable. You’ll notice that there’s a shield on the outside and then there’s an insulator and then there’s a center conductor.
The center conductor of the External WiFi Antenna is actually what runs the power to the antenna. So if you have two pieces of wire side by side in parallel, you will have a current flow in the forward direction and through the other wire current flows in the opposite direction and the current flows cancel each other out.
If you have a piece of coaxial cable, which is actually grounded on the outside and the current flows in this direction and the current flows in the opposite direction on the inside and the currents cancel each other out.
How does an antenna work then? Consider a simple dipole antenna like you put on your FM stereo at home. The WiFi antenna is just two wires in parallel split off over in two direction.
This way, the current will be flowing in same direction at the plane it is split off. This allows us to generate RF energy that leaves like wave.